Stephanie Wu | Week 8 | Final Days in the Fuccillo Lab

07.23.17 - 07.28.17

On Sunday I woke up early to go to Felicia's house so that we could make potato skins for the potluck party we were invited to. It was a tri-lab party and included all the people from Dr. Fuccillo's lab, Dr. Dani's lab, and Dr. Debiassi's lab. Making the potato skins took a lot longer and required a lot more work than Felicia and I had expected, but the result was really good! I was happy as I really like potato skins, and they were all gone soon after we arrived at Theo's house with them. The party was held at Theo's house, a senior post doc in another lab, which was located in the suburbs. It was a really nice area and all the food everyone had brought was really delicious. Everyone from all the labs was really nice too, and a lot of them introduced themselves to Sara (an undergrad who is working with Kyuhyun at the moment) and I. We also played frisbee and watched Felicia play with the little kids. In the end she got soaked since they were playing with water balloons and water guns. The party was really fun, and when I got home I was extremely exhausted.

(the potato skins)

I spent the beginning of the week mounting, imaging, and analyzing some mouse brains Felicia had previously worked with for Dr. Fuccillo. He wanted me to target the hypothalamus and report which areas of it showed labeling. After researching I compared the images to the different hypothalamic nuclei I found and saw labeling in the ARC (arcuate nucleus), DMH (dorsomedial hypothalamic nucleus), LHA (lateral hypothalamic area), MPOA (medial preoptic area), PVN (paraventricular nucleus), SON (supraoptic nucleus), and the VMH (ventromedial hypothalamus). For the most part, the most labeling was in the LHA/LH. Below are some images that I concluded showed retrograde labeling in that area:




Besides that I helped with some more clipping/genotyping and weaning on Monday with Felicia.

Monday I also went out to dinner with Claudia and Pang to Honeygrow, and then went out with Trung, Jerry, and Pang on Tuesday to Ochatto. Because Pang and I are leaving this week, we decided to meet with people before we go.

(dinner)

During the second half of the week I spent my time analyzing my images and putting together the figures for my poster. Using Image J I calculated the cell count and densities for the Neurexin-1 alpha brains I had previously sliced and imaged. Afterwards I constructed graphs from the numbers I got from the image quantification/analysis.

On Thursday Dr. Fuccillo brought the lab out to lunch since it's was my last day. We went to eat at Han Dynasty, which serves Chinese food, and it was really good. I'll definitely be missing the lab and all the people in it, as well as Philadelphia as a whole. These 8 weeks have been amazing and a lot better than I ever imagined. I had a lot of fun and learned and did so many things I never would've gotten the chance to do without coming here. Working in the lab, meeting new people, going places and exploring Philadelphia has been extremely fun and memorable, and I can't wait to come back and visit the city and the lab again!

(lab photo)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deja Cunningham, Week 1, Training, Training, Training!

Keeley Garvey, Week 1, von Frey X 320

Emily Guo, Week 1&2