Pang Nganthavee, Week 8, Time Sure Flies!

The Lee Lab!!!

My eighth and final week at the Lee Lab was finally here. After finishing up the analysis of my remeasurements and new data from my fourth run, I compiled it all into a presentation file for Dr. Lee. After going over the data I had collected with Dr. Lee on Tuesday, I came out of the meeting thinking that after making some changes to the model I used for ellipsometry, the results came out very close to what we expected.


After to going over my final results for my project, Dr. Lee also gave me some “homework” to do. As my time at the lab is coming to an end, I was busy revising my poster in the meantime, but in addition to that, he wanted to make a short video of how I performed my experiments. I didn't have to include every single step - just those that were unique to what I did. Since there was a new high school student coming next week, I am guessing it is probably for that high school to reference as she will be conducting very similar experiments to what I am doing, except that she might be using a larger type of silica than I did. I was actually secretly hoping we could meet (since we could relate to each other more being the youngest in our lab), but we literally missed each other by a week, which was really a pity. Nevertheless, I hope that the short clip that I made would help even just a little bit when she comes to perform her experiments.



The next two days at lab basically consisted of me filming some of the techniques I used to conduct my experiments as well as working on my poster. When I showed Jyo Lyn my poster, she told me that there was way too many words. What she wanted instead of words were diagrams and images of the work that I did. After looking through all of my results, I chose one trial that seemed to have the data that was the easiest to decipher, and then proceeded to organize and incorporate them into my before. Once I was done with that, I proceeded to then use some tools in PowerPoint to draw up some cartoon figures - Jyo Lyn said that these could act as essential support when trying to explain what I did for my research in layman terms. Following a few more emails and edits, my poster was finally complete and approved by both Dr. Lee and Jyo Lyn.

My poster!!!

The second-to-last day of lab was the long-awaited picnic day! Although everyone was unable to make it, a little over half of the lab was, which was a great thing! We went to Nockamixon Park, which was approximately a 1.5 hour drive from University City). Once we all got there, we played some kickball (which I epically failed at ^^”), played some card games, and ate way too much food that each of us all brought.


What I brought were triple decker brownies (cookie dough on the bottom + oreos in the middle + brownie batter on top) - I made them together with Kathryn, another undergrad at my lab. Some of things that other people brought were peanut butter cookies (baked by Jyo Lyn), tiramisu (made by Giuseppe), and hamburgers and hot dogs (grilled on the spot by Dr. Lee). Everything was so delicious that I remember not having been so full in a very long time. Overall, that day was so much fun! I regret that time flew by so quickly that we had to pack up and leave to come back to University City before it got too dark out.
The brownies that Kathryn and I made!!!

My dad totally not judging me as I shove brownies in my mouth ^^"

All of us playing card games!!!

From the left: Jyo Lyn (grad student), me, my dad
Kickball!!!

Before I end my final blog post recording my summer research experience, I would like to take this opportunity to thank a few people who has made this amazing experience even greater than I would have ever imagined. I would like to thank all the Lee Lab members for being so welcoming when I first came and continued to be so nice and friendly throughout my time at lab. I would also like to especially thank Jyo Lyn who has looked after and taught me about everything related to lab ever since day 1. Without her, I doubt I’d have any results to present EXP night this coming fall, or even have anything to put on my poster at all. Finally, I want to thank Dr. Lee, who has presented me this invaluable learning experience by allowing me to work in his lab.

My last group photo as part of the Lee Lab

My experience working at the Lee Lab couldn’t have ended any better. I will miss being in lab, performing experiments, analyzing data, and joining everyone else as we become so hyped and excited with any mention of Game of Thrones. These past eight weeks have been an incredible chapter of my summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deja Cunningham, Week 1, Training, Training, Training!

Emily Guo, Week 1&2

Pang Nganthavee, Week 1&2, Aging Silica Solutions