Douglas Reinisch, Weeks 6-7

My time at Hahnemann Hospital at Drexel University just came to an end this past Friday, but not without making some great memories in my final two weeks working in the Bouchard Laboratory.  Both inside the lab and out, I tried to make the most out of my limited time left in Philadelphia this summer.

The view of Hahnemann Hospital at Drexel Medicine from 15th Street.

My sixth week started off working on the new mutant sample (HBx 50-131) that we had begun work on the previous week.   Kennadi and I performed a QiaPrep MiniPrep Spin Kit on the bacteria cells with our mutant DNA.  Unfortunately when we used the Nanodrop One to determine our concentration and cleanliness of our plasmids we found that something either went wrong with the transformation or the MiniPrep.  Afterwards, we continued to track the growth of our HepG2 cells on the collagen plates until it was time for the weekly lab meeting.  Ron gave the presentation at the lab meeting about his recent findings in his study of HBx’s relationship to cellular glucose uptake.

Tuesday and Wednesday this week were very short days as we were delayed due to complications with the microscope that is shared among many labs in the building.  On Tuesday we redid the ligation and transformation for HBx 50-131 in hopes of correcting our mistakes from the prior day.  Additionally, Joe wanted us to view the HepG2 cells at the proper confluency as he planned to transfect them that evening (which he was not able to).  On Wednesday we made three gels (1 failed) for Western Blot analysis, which we were not able to run since the HepG2 cells hadn’t been viewed yet.  Therefore, Joe took advantage of our added free time to go into depth about the theory behind Western Blot and how important it was for our project.  The Western Blot, live cell imaging, and sequences were all yielded the most important results to our research in my opinion.

The three Western Blot gels on the lab benches as they were solidifying.

Thursday was the last day for me in the lab that week as I had a family event to go to on Friday.  We viewed the transfected, but not yet stained HepG2 cells under a high powered microscope, allowing us to see HBx, thanks to the green fluorescent protein that it was fused to.  However, without being stained with MitoTracker Red, we could not see the mitochondria to determine whether or not there was mitochondrial localization of the mutant HBx proteins.  Joe helped Kennadi and I work on our presentations for our joint lab meeting we were presenting at on the following Monday.  Joe then took care of the live cell imaging and running the Western Blot on Friday by himself as Kennadi too was out of the lab. 

My final week was much different than all 6 of my previous weeks in the lab.  After analyzing the Western Blot that Joe ran on Friday, he helped Kennadi and I make last minute changes to our presentations before our lab meeting at 2:00 P.M.  He also questioned us on the material in our presentations to make us more comfortable with our talking points.  After a very brief lunch I gave the first presentation and afterwards received a lot of constructive criticism from Joe, Dr. Bouchard, and Dr. Stills to help me make my poster that I will be making for EXP better than my PowerPoint presentation was.  Kennadi then followed me in a similar fashion. 

On Tuesday, Joe and I split some HepG2 cells in what was a shortened morning session.  The reason for this was that Joe, Dr. Bouchard and I had to Uber over to University City side of the Schuylkill River to see Kennadi give her final presentation in front of the other members of her program at the University of Pennsylvania.  We also had the opportunity to listen to a few other students discuss their summer in various research labs before we had to Uber back to Drexel.

On Wednesday and Thursday, work piled up a bit for me and Kennadi not in attendance made it that much more for me to deal with.  I began work on Wednesday by picking colonies that Joe had transfected the previous day for HBx 50-131 and growing them up in LB broth.  I then made a couple of Western Blot gels that Joe and I would run HBx-GFP on after lunch.  The last thing we did was clean and autoclave several dishes that had already been cleaned and autoclaved once before to make sure they were completely clean as we were preparing to make 1M stock buffer solutions of many different solutions.  On Wednesday, Joe and I both performed our own QiaPrep MiniPrep Spin Kit and tested it with the Nanodrop One for the HBx 50-131 colonies that I had grown up the prior day.  Joe then did a restriction digest on the samples with the highest concentrations of DNA while I prepared the DNA gel we would run the samples on.  The goal of this step is to make sure that our mutant HBx plasmids are roughly the correct nucleotide weight, before we send them off for sequencing.  After confirming this, we prepared and sent 4 of our 6 samples of HBx 50-131 off for sequencing in time that Joe would get the results back before the weekend.
On Thursday I had to throw away one of our transfected samples of HBx 54-154, due to this unknown growth.

My final day at the Bouchard Laboratory at Drexel University for the summer of 2017 was a bitter-sweet one.  Although I was saddened to realize that this would be the last time seeing the faces of many people, being a part of the Philadelphia commuters’ community, and conducting firsthand meaningful scientific research, I was happy to realize that I would have the rest of August free to do with as I please.  Joe and I, (Kennadi took the morning off) analyzed the Western Blot that we ran on Wednesday, for HBx-GFP wild type.  However, before we did this we had to attach the secondary antibody to the protein, which will allow us to view the protein under the Odyssey CLx machine.  Joe and I then met up with Kennadi and two of her friends from her STEMPrep program for lunch at Sabrina’s CafĂ© up in North Philly.  After this goodbye meal, Joe and I went back to the lab to autoclave some dirty dishes that have been accumulated over my 7 weeks at the lab.  It is pretty ironic that the last task I did with Joe was one of the very first he had taught me 7 weeks prior.  After saying my goodbyes I parted the Bouchard Laboratory for what will probably be the last time.



Joe and I analyzing the Western Blot results using the Odyssey CLx machine.

Now that the research part of my EXP summer is over, looking back over my time I am very happy that my prior labs either did not accept me or dropped me unknowingly, because I truly believe that the Bouchard Laboratory was the proper fit for me.  With that said, I could not be prouder to announce that because of my research, we have narrowed down the region of HBx localization to mitochondria to the amino acids 54-131 region.  This means that we have narrowed down the region from 154 amino acids, to just 78 amino acids.  Joe is going to continue with this research until he narrows down the region as much as possible until he finds the region that causes HBx localization and determines the effect that it has on HBV replication.  I now look forward to my final year at Peddie and presenting my summer research to the Peddie community in the fall.

The final time I emerged from the Patco station at the northwest corner of 15th and Locust Streets

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deja Cunningham, Week 1, Training, Training, Training!

Keeley Garvey, Week 1, von Frey X 320

Emily Guo, Week 1&2